<< Previous    1...   8  9  [10]  11  12  ...14    Next >>

Treatment Alternatives

For treatment alternatives in your area, some places to contact include counselors (educational, school, professional / medical like psychologists), doctors and hospitals. They may offer treatment solutions that include self-help, smoking patches, online treatment and housing alternatives. Some other options follow:

Treatment Centers (mental health, crisis centers, substance abuse programs) – For help locating treatment facilities in an area near you, contact:

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)

200 Independence Avenue, S.W.

Washington, D.C. 20201

Telephone: 202-619-0257

Toll Free: 1-877-696-6775

National Toll-Free Help Lines – For organizations that offer mental health information, referrals some crisis counseling, dial these toll-free numbers (from within the United States:

National Treatment Referral Hotline

800- 375- 4577 www.nationalhotline.org

National Mental Health Association

800-969-NMHA (6642)

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

800-273-TALK (8255)

Obsessive-Compulsive Foundation


SAMHSA's Center for Substance Abuse Treatment

800-662-HELP (4357), 800-487-4889 (TDD)

SAMHSA's National Clearinghouse for Alcohol & Drug Info


Detoxification – Immediately halting an addict’s alcohol or drugs, can result in not only emotional but physical withdrawal, as the body has become dependent. So medical detoxification, or “de-tox” for short, is sometimes a treatment option. De-tox is the process by which an addict is actively withdrawn with the help of his physician while the negative substances are gradually removed from his body’s system, in a step-by-step process. Depending upon the addiction, some medications have been found to help with controlling mild to extreme withdrawal symptoms like seizures, delirium and shaking, with inpatient care. For example, with alcohol addiction, benzodiazepines, carbamazepine and clonidine are sometimes used. And tranquilizers can be used for outpatient care. While with cocaine, Antidepressant drugs may be used to help treat depression and anxiety during withdrawal. De-tox combined with a recovery program can produce a greater positive response in improving the patient’s healthcare.

Inpatient / Outpatient Services – Inpatient services like de-tox may be available at hospitals and residential treatment centers, and are considered to be quicker if careful monitoring of the patient is done so that no addition addictive substances are used during the time of treatment. However, outpatient services performed in private, addiction treatment or mental health offices or centers, while less expensive and intrusive on day-to-day lifestyles (especially with those continuing in their daily jobs), can be equally effective if a careful support treatment strategy is in place and used by the patient so that he or she does not return to using addictive substances while on the outside.

Nutrition  - Unfortunately, nutrition is often not a focus when a person is addicted, regardless of whether the substance is alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, etc. So in order to help get the brain back to a healthier state and improve “thinking” and overall health, good nutrition is taught and supplements are often encouraged. For starters, many suggest lowering or limiting dietary intake of simple starches and sugars, upping the intake of protein.  A good multivitamin / multi-mineral supplement recommended by a family or healthcare provider can be a helpful tool in a well-rounded recovery plan, too.

Retreats / Rehabs  - Today there is a wide variety of rehabilitation or rehab centers to aid recovery and healing programs in targeted environments.  Choose from rehabs focused mainly for Teens, Christian-based Programs, Executives, Gay & Lesbian Programs, Prescription Addiction, Residential Treatment Programs, Intervention Partners, Coast-specific (East or West), or 12-Step Rehab, for starters. A good place to begin is with a call to the National Treatment Referral Hotline at 800- 375- 4577 or fill out a brief info request online at www.nationalhotline.org about your case.


<< Previous    1...   8  9  [10]  11  12  ...14    Next >>